March 17, 2009

Mojo Rising

This is the first thing I have ever made from Burda World of Fashion. It's 02/2009 #121. I did not cut the dress on the bias, the fabric is printed on the bias - deliberately. I bought 5 yards of this rayon fabric 3+ years ago at Pacific Fabrics when I was attending the Everett Neighborhood Group Meetings of my local ASG. I do not remember how much I paid for it. There are a few things I could have done differently on this dress, but it fits and not too snugly. I have a pretty floral knit to make another and I think for that one I will use the 2 piece sleeve. I the future - I need to grade up through the hips on WOF - I would be more comfortable if there were more room. Also, I didn't understand the directions on inserting the elastic in the neckline casing. There isn't suppose to be elastic all the way around, just the sleeves and the center front neckline. I traced a straight 44 (now I can't remember and I don't have time to go look) as it was as big as the pattern went. According to my measurements, that's big enough for my bust, but my waist needed to be a size bigger and my hips 2. Like I said it fits - but . . . I did add width to the sleeve. So far I haven't added elastic at the sleeve hems and I don't believe I'm going to. With elastic the sleeves would fall at a really funny place. Now they aren't so bad but in the future - length as well as width would be good. Hoping to hem it this week then I'll get modeled shots.

6 comments :

  1. I like the fabric! When a pattern calls for elastic only in the front of the neckline, I serge or zig-zag it in. It's the lazy way to do it, no doubt, but easier than tacking it at each end of where it's supposed to be. Trust me, I wrote the book on lazy ways to do things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! And it's all about comfort...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too - the fabric is great !

    Congratulations on your first BWOF - mine was the boatneck t-shirt and as you know, I'm still fighting with the 2nd one. More BWOF to come, I'm sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great, G! I prefer it without the elastic at the sleeve. I bet it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, elastic in the sleeves annoys me. Can't wait to see it in action. How's the new machine working?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another one for really liking the fabric! It takes a simple style and gives it great design and pizazz. Can't wait to see some modeled shots!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs