January 13, 2010

Ebb & Flow

Just this morning I was thinking about this. For me my hobbies tend to ebb and flow. Some days it’s all I can do to stay away from the sewing machine and some days I won’t go near it. I love having a dedicated space for my sewing for when I am in the mood to sew. On the other hand – occasionally I feel guilty for having a dedicated space and not using it.
Where am I going with this? Oh yes – I really want to work on the modifications of my Carolyn skirt. You haven’t seen it yet but the last thing I did was to put the center front and side panel together at the seam lines creating a single cut-on-fold pattern piece for both the front and back. This skirt doesn’t actually need separate front and back pieces, but I made an adjustment so the waist would sit level (ala Sandra Betzina) and I did a swayback adjustment. Plus – it really is easier to just cut two pieces than cut one, move it and cut another. With 2 pattern pieces I can tell immediately if I have enough fabric to lengthen the skirt or need to shorten it.
That skirt turned out fabulously and even has a bit of creativity added to it in the form of tucks around the hem. I’ll wear it this week and get photos. However (and there’s always one of those isn’t there?), I don’t believe I made the darts between the pattern pieces wide enough. The skirt fits well through the hips but the waist is too big letting the skirt spin when I walk. It’s also still very much an a-line and I’m trying to get a straighter pencil skirt variation.
Here’s where the ebb and flow come in. I just don’t have any desire to drag myself into the studio to work on it. Part of it is location – although I’ve mostly come to terms with being in the basement. Part of it was the cleaning up and finishing of old projects hanging out. I managed to get those finished and off the table last weekend. And no – there are no photos – apparently I don’t share sewing anymore!! Anyway – I’m not going to kick myself for not getting down there. It will happen, just like the tide – the urge to create will flow again and something else will be left ebbing. It’s all good.

3 comments :

  1. Love that first photo. Where is it?

    I do know what swayback is - have lots of it myself. I sure hope you're not NOT posting sewing FOs on my account; I like seeing them, even if it's all greek to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that when I'm into sewing, it's obsessive. When I'm not, I could be covered in uncut yardage and just go on about my life dragging the yards behind me.

    If you're thinking like I do, along about March or so, when you can just feel that warmer weather getting ready to finally find its way to you (or hoping it will), you'll suddenly want lots of new, colorful, summery skirts and clothes. Till then, just keep knitting warm stuff.

    And I have a couple of spinning skirts. It's infuriating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. I think the ebb & flow works the same with just about all of us. :) Sewing, knitting, reading...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs