June 16, 2010

I Lied

I lied - apparently I have sewn with wool before. But only this once. And seriously I should totally get JB to take photos before we leave the house - I don't look quite so chunky at the beginning of the day. Anyway - this was the first (and so far only) time I have sewn with wool. I made this skirt when the "studio" was still in the formal living room and the computer was in the basement - so The Princess must have still been in high school - and she's 24 now - so at least 6 years ago. I never wore it when I first made it because it isn't lined, it was itchy, and I lost enough weight that it didn't fit. So, I moved it down to the relocated studio where it lived in a basket waiting to be altered. Well one thing I don't do is alter. Apparently - I do let my weight fluctuate enough that it fit fairly well this past Winter. If I'm going to keep it around, I need to figure out how to add a lining. The pattern was made with pattern master boutique - which I never got really good at and this probably the only thing ever made with the program. The skirt is princess seamed front and back with a center back zip. What you can't see from these photos is the wool is a taupe and ivory herringbone and I alternated each panel so it chevrons at the seams. The fabric was bought from Marsha back when Textile Studios was selling fabric in Seattle. Also - each seam - has an inverted pleat. This skirt really moves when I do. However - it also seems to stretch during the day - that's another point in linings favor, right?

9 comments :

  1. Instead of lining it, you could find a slip that's a little shorter & wear that. It looks really nice- the shape is nicely swirly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it has a nice shape. I vote for the lining, but that's just because I don't like slips. If you like it, it's worth altering to put a slip in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skirt, can't offer sewing advice, but I can point out that you're supposed to be practicing kindness to you. Sure, you're not bright-eyed in these photos, but you're still lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the shape and it looks like it has nice movement. I don't know if I'd line it or not. It would probably be more comfortable if you did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the shape is great. I vote for the slip as I hate lining anything!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. seems like you could just stitch up an a-line lining, and attach it at the waistband, leaving an opening for the zipper, right? That's what I'd do, because I hate the fuss of a slip. And if you made it 6 years ago and it still fits, well, that's pretty good! After hiking 310 steps a day all summer, though, be prepared for it to not fit next winter, so you won't care about the lining again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Chan, I love it ... but certainly can't offer up any sewing advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, now that's a cute skirt! Can you just take off the waistband and attach your lining, reattach the waistband?

    (altho if it were me, I'd never actually do that. I'd probably just wear a slip!)

    I waffled over PMB a few times too, since Debbie COok is always making cute things from inspiration pictures, but in the end I think I'm a cut up someone else's tissue kind of girl. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gaylen - this shirt drapes beautifully, it is a very flattering shape and length. You could do domething similar with your hope for a pencil skirt - include pleats.

    I think Marjie has come up with a great solution for adding a lining

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs