September 7, 2010

cheater cheater

pumpkin eater
Beignet - photo from website
I spent a lot of time this weekend working on a muslin (yep, only a muslin) of this skirt.  I love it!  I think it will answer my desire for a straight skirt.  Monday morning - after not finding the answers in my fitting books and feeling ready to sell the entire studio - machines, fabric, patterns, notions - on ebay.  I finally walked up to my neighbors.  See her mother, lives with them, and used to draft her own patterns, sewed for a living and now does nothing.

It felt horrible and rude - since they've lived there for about 4 years and while we've met the "kids" we'd never me the mother.  But - nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

I went up and sat with A for about 45 minutes, she measured my waist and my hips and told me where I was "fullest."  Then she told me how to change the pattern and to sew it up in muslin again.  She asked that I keep her advised of how it turned out - so I will do just that.  I haven't made the (simple) alteration yet - but that's what football is for, right?  So if not tonight, Thursday for sure!

(oh and while I felt like a heel for finally introducing myself because I could use A's help and experience, she enjoyed herself, said it felt good to be needed and asked me to come back again.) 

14 comments :

  1. Gaylen - how wonderful is that! I'm glad you had someone right there who could help you out...seriously I would go to her again especially since she said the part about it was good to be needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A soon to be new skirt and a new friend. Sounds like a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for meeting the neighbor and making a new sewing friend... and for making her happy to be needed! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good deal. The neighbor gets to put her experience to work, you get needed advice and you bot get a new social contact. Win-win!

    Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Beignet I made last winter, but it still sits unfinished because of all. those. buttonholes. I'll probably be doing some more this fall/winter too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful outcome. Do show A your houndstooth skirt, just the thing to talk about over a nice cup of tea or coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! She probably felt good to meet a kindred creative soul to talk sewing with and to be needed. Can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She probably did enjoy the time spent with you. :) Glad you were able to enjoy each other's company for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glossing right over all the sewing stuff, I'm going straight for the TOLD YA' SO! We all need to be needed, especially women.

    I never do well with skirts with buttons up the front. I think it's these powerful thighs... there's just too much to the front?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so lucky that you found someone so competent! Hooray for you, taking the initiative to get assistance. And hooray for making the nice old lady feel needed and relevant, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love that you had someone nearby to help you with this. you got the help you need and you made an old woman feel valued.

    you're only a heel if you don't go visit her again. bake her up some pumpkin bread and go be neighborly.

    good luck with the non-muslin version. can't wait to see YOUR pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet she was delighted to be able to help you out. We had an elderly neighbor and when I was trying to figure out how to knit my mother sent me next door to have "Doris" show me how to read a pattern. She has long since passed away, but she sure did me a good turn.

    I too am delighted that football season has arrived. Go Irish!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful to meet someone new and make her feel needed as well as helping you :). A good visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's wonderful! Not only did you meet your neighbor but both of you benefited! With sewing as a common bond I'm sure the two of you will spend more time together in the future. A new sewing friends - heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs