January 29, 2013

Another Winner

Last weekend I stopped into Joanns to purchase some Vogue patterns on sale.  I happened to take a quick looks at the McCalls book as they were on sale as well.  I've recently had very good luck with Simplicity, McCalls and Vogue patterns.  And while I try to emulate Carolyn and use the same pattern over and over - I do get bored and want to try something new.  McCalls 6713 caught my eye and came home with me. 

During the past week - I was rearranging the fitness room as some of my sewing equipment - Lou, my hem marker and the full length mirror got relocated out of the fitness room due to a new piece of equipment.  I happened to lift the lid on a large rubbermaid bin and find a lovely stash of fabric.  This piece of cotton jersey happened to be in that stash.  It had enough stretch and was perfect to sample this pattern.  I traced the pattern with the only alterations being to shorten the back bodice by 2".  I'm really, really short from my neck to my waist in the back - 15 1/2".  See, really short!  I also cut the front skirt piece in 2 equal pieces with a seam down the center front.  I thought about cutting it on the fold, but the grainline didn't run parallel to the center front.  So - I cut 2 pieces.  Finally I added 3" of length to all the skirt pieces.  

For this version I didn't want the drape as my cotton jersey was a bit heavy.  I also didn't line the bodice for a couple of reasons 1.) I didn't have enough fabric and b.) my fabric was a bit heavy. 


Can you see the gathers?
Construction was fast and easy.  The most time consuming part was cutting - and I had to cut the right front twice.  When cutting pattern pieces out single layer it's important to make sure the same side of the pattern piece is facing up - otherwise you either flip the pieces or you have one piece where the wrong side is showing.  Thankfully I had enough fabric left to cut another right front.  That slowed the sewing down a bit. 

I wore this dress to work yesterday and it was comfortable and twirly.  I have another double sided jersey on my cutting table and have the cut on fold pieces cut already.  Version #2 will have the drape with the wrong side showing.  Now to get it cut.  Hopefully another new dress before the week is out. 

15 comments :

  1. Oh, I like this one a LOT. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and I like the cheerful fabric pattern. I used to like Butterick patterns best, but you didn't mention them. Do you use them or have they changed since I stopped sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the fabric you chose and this silhouette is really working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really lovely on you! In fact, I think I'll just pop over to the online shop and get myself the same pattern. And you've intrigued me about the double jersey - don't think I've seen that before. So inspiring today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOu amaze me. Another dress this week?? I love this one

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks FAB on you! Love it :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - now to just get used to standing in front of the camera! g

      Delete
  7. I love that fabric, and the dress! How nice that you found a surprise lurking in your storage bin. Hope you can crank out that second version before week's end, while you're still excited about it.

    Oh, and I get bored with my patterns all the time, and try out new ones. But I go back to the TNT ones time and again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your dress - fab fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was such a quick make. The fabric came from Sew Baby a couple of years ago - lucky find. g

      Delete
  9. Pretty, pretty, pretty ! Love the print on the fabric.

    The neckline on the pattern looks low but on you it looks a good height. You didn't say you changed it, so that's good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE that dress, especially the happy fabric. But do explain double-sided jersey to me. Sounds like something I could love, along with ponte and french terry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make the most wonderful dresses! I'd like to see pictures of your closet! You make me want to sit down right now and start sewing for summer. I love dresses and imagine myself wearing lots of soft, twirly dresses like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! I've copied you and my own 6713 has arrived in the post - so here I am looking up your fabric choice - the pattern suggests spandex but you used cotton jersey - there does seem to be more colour and pattern choice in the cotton jerseys, so I'd prefer to use that too. Do you think browsing cotton jerseys a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a great dress, too! It's awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs