December 27, 2013

Vogue 8634/8764 - Very Creative Title, no?

So this summer after seeing kbenco's mash up of patterns, I decided I wanted to so the same.  She had made a couple of very amazing dresses.  When it had finally percolated up my to-sew list, I didn't remember it exactly correctly.  But I think it was close enough.

It has been well documented here at gMarie of my desire to get a dress with a straight or slim skirt that fits and looks good. 

In July, I pulled this knit from Girl Charlie which had a very fall vibe.   I set it aside with Vogue 8764 (dress) and Vogue 8634 (top).  Sometime last year I attempted to make dress from a woven.  It was a huge sack and looked horrible.  For some reason I have a vague memory of making the top up with similar results. 

This time, when I traced the top, I made sure I did sway back adjustments and took the side seams in just a bit.  I overlapped the two different patterns to figure out the best place to put a waist seam and start the skirt. 

I finished the dress fairly quickly and then set it aside.  For some reason, I just didn't like it on me.  I mean it didn't even make it to the bedroom for a chance in the 'magic closet.'  It just stayed in the sewing room.

I didn't like it plain.  I don't have a cardigan that worked with the colors in the fabric and I thought it needed something.  I bought a couple of belts - but they didn't do it for me.  Finally - I tried it with the brown belt in these pictures and while I still don't think it's exactly right - it wasn't horrible and I felt cute and stylish all day.

JB likes it better without the belt and honestly, you can't tell from the photos which is better.  But you can get a glimpse of the print.

So - for the record, made in July 2013.  First wearing November 2013.  And I haven't worn it again yet.  Will it get worn again?  Quite possibly, I do like this dress and it still feels very 'new'.  I haven't done much sewing in the last couple of weeks.  Well, that's not completely true  - I've sewn, just not for me.  4 pairs of new PJ pants for Christmas gifts, 2 long fleece skirts to up the lounge wear of the girl children and one knee length flannel penguin skirt - just because I could. 

Up next:  Hopefully, sewing for me. 




6 comments :

  1. The dress suits you beautifully - the colours are stunning on you, so do keep wearing it sometimes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your dress gets worn.. I really like it, and looks great on you.. I like it with and without the belt.. Hope you get to sew for you now..[me too,ha]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the dress on you, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been the same way, lots of PJ sewing for other people the last week! This is really wonderful, though. I like it with the belt you paired with it, looks like a great office outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your dress. I looks great with the boots. The more you wear it, the more you'll like it I think.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you coming to see me. It may take me a bit to publish your comment - but I will get to them by the end of every day. If you leave a way for me to get back to you, I will. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. g

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs